There are various types of clamshell packaging, and each type has its particular uses. Read on to learn all the frequently asked questions about clam packaging and all its uses.
- What is a clamshell package? This type of retail packaging protects everything from food to pliers. It completely encapsulates the item that needs to be protected between two sheets of plastic material that are formed into their shape by the application of heat. These sheets, called thermoformed clamshells or thermoformed packaging, can be in a set shape, or they can be formed as customizable packaging. They can be tamper evident clamshell, as well. Some clamshell packaging comes with a hinge that allows it to close itself. Tamper evident clamshell packaging is also resealable.
- What industries use clamshell packaging? Nearly every industry has a use for round clamshell packaging or custom clamshell packaging. Tamper evident clamshell packaging is widely used in the food and pharmaceutical industries. Other types of clamshells are used in hardware, electronics, for medical applications, and for office supplies, among others. Clamshell packaging is currently used to package home improvement goods, health and beauty cosmetics, electronics, office and craft supplies, toys, sports equipment, medicines and medical devices, and many types of food.
- What is a stock clamshell? This type of packaging is cheaper because it comes with no tooling costs and can be mass-produced in standard shapes and sizes. A stock clam can still be a tamper evident clamshell, and they are usually designed to be hung. Most stock clamshell packaging is also recloseable and reusable.
- What are the advantages of custom clamshells? Clamshells can be thermoformed to specifications that meet any size or shape. Custom designed packaging follows the contours of whatever product is being protected and cuts down significantly on wasted plastic by eliminating waste space in the process of packaging. Custom made clamshells are often not reusable, but they can also be formed to be tamper evident clamshell and can be made from recycled materials, as well.
- How are clamshell packages sealed? Clamshells can be sealed by the application of heat, which fuses the flanges of the clamshell together. They can also be sealed using radio frequency sealing, cold sealing, UV ray sealing, and ultrasonic sealing. Many reusable clamshells can be resealed by the consumer simply by applying heat.
- What is the difference between clamshell packaging and blister packaging? Clamshell packaging is actually a type of blister package. Most blister packages include a backing of some material other than plastic, such as cardboard or foil. Frequently this other material has information of some kind printed on it. A clamshell is different because it encases the product completely around in plastic. A clamshell package can be envisioned as a blister package that is folded over onto itself. This makes it very useful, for example, for holding food items that need protection at all points.
One of the best advantages of clamshell packaging is the way it minimizes waste by allowing packaging to be formed precisely to fit whatever needs to be protected. With nearly 32 million metric tons of plastic waste being thrown away in improper ways every year worldwide, this advantage is not only good for retailers and consumers, but also for the environment. Tamper evident clamshell packaging provides an excellent way of protecting important goods while also protecting the environment.